Black Tie Dress Styling Tips
Another year ending calls on the time for the black tie dress ! Corporate year end functions and celebrations are always tricky to dress for, so here are some style tips to help guide you in selecting your black tie dress
- Be Open Minded : Choosing a black tie dress can be very stressful, especially when a lady has a specific style in mind. Usually there is no luck finding that dress or that style looks great on a model figure and is not so flattering on the average body size. Keeping an open mind allows you to try on dresses and see how a variety of different styles compliment your body shape. Choosing a plain and simple dress is much easier to pair off with statement pieces, a clutch and beautiful heels.
- Keeping Black Seasonal : Even though you are invited to a black tie event, does not mean you have to stick to buying or making a black dress. Although black is timeless and classy, you must consider the time of your event and the season. A black dress works best in the evening or in winter during the day. Instead of this colour, opt for a brighter colour that compliments your skin tone or if you must wear a dark colour to match with your partner, consider emerald green, royal blue or scarlet red. These colours compliment most accessories you might have in your jewelry box.
- Consider Undergarments : When choosing your black tie dress, you should also be mindful of the underwear you will need to wear that evening too. Making sure your dress looks sleek and falls beautifully. To hide away lumps and bumps, consider wearing high-waisted spanks that pull up to under your bust, to smoothen out your tummy and thigh area. If you have a bigger bust and need full support, it is recommended that you don’t wear a backless dress as a bra strap can add dullness to any beautiful dress.
- Statement Jewelry : Think about what piece of jewelry you would like to stand out on the night. This is vital as it compliments your dress, as well as your hair style. If you opt to wear your hair in an updo, statement earrings that are long and drape along your neck looks exquisite, whereas a diamante collar necklace looks beautiful paired with a strapless dress, beachwave styled hair and small stud earrings.
- Clutch Bag and Heels : Black, gold and silver best compliment any dress. A clutch for a black tie function should be small and minimalistic yet the colour should create a statement of glamour. You should also pack as little as possible in your bag, there should be space only for lipstick, mints, your phone and some spare cash. Your heels should be single soled for a classy look and if you are worried about being too tall, a kitten heel will give off the illusion of being in heels without the extra height. A great idea is to shop for your black tie dress with your heels on call so that you can get an idea of how the dress will compliment the shoes on the evening. You can also get an idea of whether you will be able to walk in the dress without tripping. Hemming your dress if it is too long is vital as you do not want to fall over and you can also show others your classy heels too. Practise walking in your heels days before the event, this prevents blisters or sitting all night due to pain.
For all your black tie event and formal evening functions, visit the showroom to see our extensive range of full length and cocktail dresses.