Being a Mother of the Bride and Groom is a honour and is an important milestone in the lives of your son and daughter. Knowing when to give advice and offer help is somewhat difficult in planning a wedding ! To help a Mother of the Bride and Groom out there, here are some guidelines …
- Mother of the Bride and Groom are to help the bride and groom find ceremony and wedding reception sites and ask friends/family for recommendations. This is always a safer option then picking from the hundreds available.
2. Serve as the main contact for wedding pros,especially if the bride lives overseas.
3. Mother of the Bride and Groom have the important task in helping bride choose her wedding dress, bridesmaid dresses, suits and wedding-night outfit. Be patient and understanding as she will probably change her mind more than once !
4. Compile and submit names and addresses of your family and friends to be included on the master guest list. Talk to the groom’s family about whom they want to include on the guest list and manage the difficult task of limiting the number of guests, if necessary.
5. Help research family or ethnic traditions and heirlooms to incorporate into the ceremony or reception.
6. Determine what the bride wants you to wear on the big day and find a gorgeous Mother of the Bride dress. Then, consult with the Groom’s mom on what you two will be wearing. You’ll both feel more comfortable if your elegance is in sync. Start looking for the perfect dress.
7. Attend (and possibly help organize) the bridal shower and the rehearsal dinner.
8. Escort the bride down the aisle if the bride’s father isn’t planning on it. (In a Jewish wedding both parents accompany the bride.)
9. In a Christian wedding, mother of the Bride and Groom be seated in the first pew directly before the ceremony and leave the chapel first afterward.
10. Another duty of the Mother of the Bride and Groom is to stand in the receiving line to greet guests; traditionally, as reception hostess, the mother of the bride heads up the line.
12. Mother of the Bride and Groom are required to sit at the parents’ table if there is one.
13. Dance with the father of the bride (or other escort) and the groom during the formal first-dance sequence.
14. Remind the bride often how special she is and that she’ll be the most beautiful bride in history.
15. Be the bride’s rock ! Let the bride cry on your shoulder anytime, and yes this will happen alot, day or night!